Vegan Sloppy Joes
Quinoa takes center stage in this sloppy joe recipe. It doesn’t take much effort to come up with a vegan sloppy joe recipe. There are plenty of beefless crumble options on the store shelves, after all. You owe it to yourself to ignore those options and use quinoa. I mean… sloppy joes you don’t have to feel guilty about? Yes, please!
Each serving (not including the bun or toppings) is 137 calories. Check out the nutritional information section at the bottom of this page.
|Total Time:||25 minutes|
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Cook time:||15 minutes|
- 3/4 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender.
- Stir in garlic powder, black pepper, ketchup, tomato paste, mustard, and water. Simmer on low heat for ten minutes.
- Stir in quinoa.
- Vegetarian and vegan
- If you prefer your sloppy joes a little sweeter, add a teaspoon or two of brown sugar to the recipe. Tomatoes are naturally sweet, so I leave it out.
- Top each sloppy joe with fresh onions for a more intense flavor. Vegan cheese is another great topping.
Click here for nutritional information.
|Servings per batch 6|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 137||Calories from Fat 36 (26%)|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 4g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|