Vegetarian French Onion Soup
French onion soup, while meatless, is generally not vegetarian-friendly and certainly isn’t vegan. Not only does the broth have a beef base, but the soup is covered in Gruyere cheese. I get jealous when my husband orders French onion soup when we dine out, so I decided to make a me-friendly version at home. In it I use vegetable broth, Earth Balance butter, and Follow Your Heart provolone cheese. Feel free to experiment with other vegan cheese varieties.
This soup goes great with Roasted Asparagus and Portobello Salad, which is the salad pictured with the soup.
Check out the nutritional information section at the bottom of this page.
|Total Time:||2 hour 30 minutes|
|Prep Time:||30 minutes|
|Cook time:||2 hour|
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh parsley sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 thick slices French bread
- 8 Follow Your Heart provolone slices (or a vegan Swiss)
- Sprinkle salt over onions.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions to skillet and cook at a low heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir and cook an additional 60-75 minutes, or until the onions are caramelized, stirring frequently.
- Tie together thyme, parsley, and bay leaves with kitchen string or cooking twine.
- Add garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, black pepper, and red wine to skillet. Simmer until wine has fully evaporated.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture, stir, and cook a minute longer.
- Pour broth over onion mixture and stir. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove thyme, parsley, and bay leaves from onion mixture.
- Cut each bread slice into four pieces (this makes it easier to eat). Spread single layer of bread onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 minutes. Flip bread and bake another 6 minutes.
- Spoon soup into broiler-proof ramekins or bowls. Place four pieces of bread and two slices of cheese over each serving of soup.
- Broil for 1-4 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Vegetarian and vegan
Click here for nutritional information.
|Servings per batch 4|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 520||Calories from Fat 189 (36%)|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 21g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 11.6g||58%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 60g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||18%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|