Homemade Crock-Pot Spaghetti Sauce
If manufactured spaghetti sauce in the jar just isn’t cutting it for you, it’s time to make homemade sauce. This recipe keeps things simple by using canned tomatoes. Canned tomatoes also make it possible to keep the ingredients on hand for an unplanned spaghetti night that doesn’t require a trip to the store.
Each serving is 80 calories.
Check out nutritional information at the bottom of this page.
|Total Time:||5 hours 15 minutes|
|Prep Time:||15 minutes|
|Cook time:||5 hours|
Click to open/close images
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red cooking wine
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, untrained
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add wine, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste to crock-pot and stir. Transfer sautéed onion mixture to crock-pot. Add remaining ingredients to the crock-pot and stir. Cook on low for 5-8 hours.
- Vegetarian and vegan.
- Double the recipe and freeze half for an easy meal later.
- Be creative by adding your favorite veggies. Zucchini, peppers, carrots, and mushrooms would make great additions.
- If you prefer a thinner sauce, stir water in during the cooking process to maintain the desired consistency.
Click here for nutritional information.
|Servings per batch 10|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 80||Calories from Fat 18 (23%)|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|